Friday, December 24, 2010

CAMP!

There's always something to do next. My mother and I are both strong list-makers and doers, but right now I am trying to avoid doing things on hers and just enjoy my Christmas break.

I work next week at Camp Royall (!!! the Autism Society of NC's 'summer' (but they do year-round events) camp) for Week 2 of Winter Camp, and I'm actually really excited. Lately, whenever I think about camp, I get a fearful, anxious feeling, similar to the beginning of the summer when I started working there. Autism can be wonderful and hilarious, but it can also be scary, and for some reason, that was the feeling I held on to through this semester, versus the incredible moments of laughter and learning. Weird.

So, all counselors from this summer received returning applications for next summer. At the time, I was still uncertain about my internship and when it would start. Now I've figured it out, and I'll be able to work at camp from the end of May to the end of June. Then on to South Korea and Indiana! But, the point of this paragraph is that I also asked for the Activities Director (AD) application. AD's are the ones who plan all of the activities (obviously) for each week. A lot of creativity is required, and it is a LOT of work. Originally, I was drawn towards that position because I like and am good at planning and details. However, as I was reading the list of responsibilities, I began reflecting on my summer and how much fun and rewarding my one on one time with the campers and counselors was. I looked back at how the ADs interacted with the counselors, and now I am quite conflicted. I don't know if I want to give up that time with the campers. However, I am so excited to say that I no longer am worried or anxious when I think about camp, and I am grateful.

I got my camper folder yesterday for next week, and I am really looking forward to it. Day camp schedule is really great too. If anyone wants a life-changing experience, come work at Camp Royall. :)

This post was originally going to be about everything that's been going on the past two weeks, but that would take too long and it's not quite that important. Later though, I will tell you guys our very interesting story about Daniel's Christmas present. He better like it, that's all I have to say. ;-) And I have no idea what he's getting me!

We're singing at St. Peters in downtown Charlotte tonight at the 7:00 and 10:30 services (preludes start half hours before) - everyone should come! They have an AMAZING new   $______ (I'm not allowed to write how much, but it was A LOT) Fisk organ. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment