I should probably do a new post, as the last time I left you I was a bit scattered. It's been awhile! At least a month, if not more.
I've just started Week 16 (of about 26) of my internship! It's a very weird feeling to know I'll be finished soon. During Week 13 (midterm), we did my evals and made my improvement plan, and I have to start working on that and incorporating those objectives into my daily work. *Note to upcoming interns out there: don't be too hard on yourself at midterm, but don't be too easy either! Give yourself the credit you know you deserve, because it will result in less work later!
During that week and the following week, I had an odd...plateau feeling. Did anyone else feel some of that about halfway through their internship?
Thankfully that's dwindling and I'm back to feeling like I'm learning new things every day. They aren't as obvious as those I learned in the first part of my internship, but more of fine-tuning, which is good.
I observed a music therapist in Bryan, OH last Monday and learned a lot about private practice. We had some good conversations, during one of which she asked me, "Which experience do you have a crush on right now?" Ha! I'd never thought of it that way. I'm curious though, what experiences do you all out there have a "crush" on? What's your favorite go-to intervention?
I feel like I need to expand my creativity and experience database. It keeps getting harder as the months go on because 1) our room is so small for our groups that we can't stand up and move around really at all...actually that's the biggest obstacle for me, not having a lot of room for our groups!
To be honest, I've spent so much time with this one population - adults with disabilities - that I'm currently feeling like I have no idea how to work with itty-bitties (little kids), hospice (actually I really don't know how to work in hospice), and hospitals. I observe at Riley Children's Hospital on Thursday, so hopefully that will send a breath of air through me in that regard.
Overall, I'm curious to know how you guys felt at midterm. Please share!
This post has also been a bit scattered...I'm sitting in Panera Bread before orchestra rehearsal and it's FREEZING! So naturally my brain and fingers are cold and that results in distraction, typos, and no cohesive writing.
I felt the same exact way halfway through my internship... I have talked to some other people and we've decided that there definitely is such a thing as a "mid-internship crisis." The good news is, it gets better! :) I completely agree with you in the sense that I feel like I've gotten really good with one population, but I'm interested in so many more settings than just hospice. I wish I had more opportunities to work in special education, psych, and hospitals.
ReplyDelete